LED lighting boasts numerous benefits over rival technologies:
- Energy-efficiency: LED lighting offers energy savings of 80-90% over incandescent or halogen technologies and up to 50% over fluorescent lamps.
- Longer life: with typical lifespans of up to 50,000 hours, LED lasts 2 or 3 times longer than fluorescent lighting, and up to 50 times longer than incandescent. Maintenance costs are vastly reduced as a result.
- Instant light: unlike many fluorescent lights, LEDs require no warm-up time to reach full brightness.
- Eco-friendly: LED lighting has potential to drastically reduce carbon emissions. Around 20% of the world’s electricity is used on lighting. Unlike fluorescent lamps, LEDs contain no mercury, making disposal easier and cleaner. Longer lifespan relieves pressure on landfill sites.
- Reduced heat output: LED lighting has significant heat dissipation needs. However, unlike filament bulbs, an LED lamp does not project infrared heat in its beam. This increases suitability for lighting heat-sensitive items like artworks or food.
- Added durability: LEDs are a solid state form of lighting, resistant to vibration and shock. They are less delicate than incandescent or fluorescent lamps, and outperform competing technologies in cold temperatures.